Monday, September 6, 2010

No, really, how do I get out of here?

I just recently moved, and I didn't find the new place until a few days before I had to move. I knew what I was looking for, and once I found it, I didn't want to risk not being accepted by one of the roommates. So I didn't bring up sexuality during the will-you-let-me-move-in discussion.

Of course, now I don't know how to bring it up. Yes, I've made it clear that I'm supportive of gay rights. That's very easy, since I often talk about my family, and when I mention my brother's husband, things flow from there. But when it comes to me, that's tougher. I'm not dating anyone right now, and I really don't know how to just casually slip it into the conversation.

One of my friends from the women-only hiking group helped me move, and we chatted for a bit afterward. It felt so great to be able to just talk without worrying about letting something slip and having to explain. I didn't even realize I'd been making such efforts with other people until I didn't have to!

I realize it's easier to come out sooner rather than later with new people. But how? I want it to happen naturally. Anyone have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment